Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

About Buddha





In general, 'Buddha' means 'Awakened One', someone who has awakened from the sleep of ignorance and sees things as they really are.

A Buddha is a person who is completely free from all faults and mental obstructions.

Usually Buddha refers to Gautama Buddha, the founder of Buddhism. Often referred to simply as "the Buddha", he is also known as Siddhartha Gautama (Sanskrit; Pali: Siddhattha Gotama) and the Tathagata.


The legend of FAT BUDDHA


An elderly, sage monk appeared in China around 850AD and died in 916AD.

He called himself "Knowing This" (Chi Che). None knew from where he came. He carried a large bag and was famous for his enormous belly. When anyone would ask him how to obtain Nirvana he would lay down the bag and not speak a word.
If he was asked about what happend after reaching the enlightened state of Nirvana he would pick up the bag and walk away without uttering a sound.

It is accepted that this monk did exist. He is likely the inspiration for the Fat Buddha and the fat statues begin appearing in the late 800s, 1200 years after Guatama's death.

If you look at an authentic Fat Buddha statue you will notice he is carrying a large bag on his back. His names include Hotei, Pu-Tai, and Mi-Le-Fo, which means "cloth sack".


Just something to think about:


"It is necessary to understand that I Am, In order that I may know that I Am Not, So that, at last, I may realize that, I Am Not, therefore I Am." - From Ask the Awakened by Wei Wu Wei.



(C) ME!! 2007
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. nom myoho renge kyo, i chant silently....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that a lovely Buddha-boo-boob.
    Hey, hubby and I are gonna be visiting up thar this weekend. Woowoo! I'm so 'cited! We be takin' the TRAIN!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and for commenting!
Your lovely words are appreciated.

If you are new here, please subscribe to my RSS feed so you can get automatic updates.

If you ask a question in this comment form, please subscribe to follow up comments so I can get your answer to you most promptly.

Kind words will be posted, unkind will be deleted. Simple.

Cheers!

Warning! All comments which contain URLs and are clearly just spam to generate a link back to the URL will be deleted on sight. Don't bother wasting your time!